Advertisement

Purslane

topic posted Fri, July 24, 2009 - 11:12 AM by 
Share/Save/Bookmark
I love Purslane, which is delicious at this time of year where I live. It often grows wild in my garden; it will grow in the most scrubby of places!

I have heard it was first grown in Persia, and it is used for thickening of soups and stews, kinda like okra...only in my experience, it doesn't have that "sliminess" that okra can have.

It grows a bit like a vine, but it has succulent leaves that are filled with juice. (I'll post a photo!)

Here's a great page about Purslane (with recipes):

www.culinarymusings.com/2008/0...wonder/

A quote from the page:

"Condemned by some as an “unsightly, pervasive weed,” purslane is also a free backyard source of protein, vitamin E, vitamin C, and the best source of Omega 3 fatty acids of any leafy plant. There’s no reason to spend money on fish oil supplements if you have this tasty food source growing in your backyard or vegetable garden.

"Whether you eat it raw in salads, stir-fried, or added to soups and sauces, purslane is a delicious addition to many recipes. It’s easy to grow, tastes great, and - best of all to anyone struggling with rising food prices - it’s free."

posted by:
Advertisement
  • Re: Purslane

07/24
    it's called :verdolagas" ion Mexico and Central America, and it grows around well watered soil, jsut like mint (I used to gather it next to water spigots. it;s wonderful chopped and eaten on top of a warm bowl of pinto beans.

it;s funny; in the days of World War II Victory Gardens, all the government books on gardening treatted purslane as an enemy. with all the food being shipped overseas for the war effiortm, you;d think the givernment would have encouraged the harvesting and consumption of wild plants at home,but that;s not what the Ag Department was promoting at the time.

the Farmers markets sell organic purslane for a lot fo money per pound, which is part of what cracks me up about wild-type plants and mushrooms; they are either free or a high priced specialty crop...I;ve seen miners lettuce for $17 a pound too, which is a real crackup too.

I;ve also seen chickweed identified as a pest in farm handbooks, as well as sold dried in ehrb stores for good money. another wild gift///
    • Bob
      Bob
      offline 8

Re: Purslane

04/19
      I love it, in Turkey it's called "semizotu" and is used a lot. The wild form has thick small leaves; there's a cultivated variety with much wider, thinner leaves. It's often eaten fresh mixed with yogurt. My favorite way is as yogurt soup: strip the leaves off the stems, blanch them in boiling water for 10 seconds or so, then strain, and mix them with thinned yogurt and a little salt. If you want you can add a bit of garlic and olive oil too. It's a great cold summer dish.

04/20
        yum...thank you Bob, tasty ideas here. hard to believe that in the 1940s, it was considered the bane of Victory Gardens in the US and fought like, well, the enemy. now I see it tamed, certified organic, and sold at the farmers market for considerable dollars per bunch.
  • i think the fatty acids and omega 3's come from the seeds, not the green leaves and is therefore unattainable for the home gardener / cook. what we'll get is the vitamin A (11% RDA) and C (15% RDA), still making purslane a really great garden food!

check out this nutritional database from Condé Nast it's really amazing: www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...s/2604/2

lov,e
    Elizabeth Fiend
    Writer / Host BiG TeA PaRtY Sustainable Living
    Resource Center, How-to Videos, and Blog
    It's cooking, crafts and anarchy!
    Visit our web site: BigTeaParty.com

Watch BiG TeA PaRtY on Satellite TV: DISH NETWORK on "Free Speech TV" (FSTV) channel 9415.
    Available in all 50 states.

Be my friend on MySpace
    and on Facebook.com/elizabeth.fiend
    • The seeds of purslane are easily harvested and there are lots! Just like lamb's quarters or amaranth, these seeds can be placed into a jar by the stove and added to whatever you are preparing. They all contain omega 3's! I usually harvested the plant and turn it upside down in a paper bag and the seeds fall to the bottom.
      Spring Blessings
      Linda
      • Unsu...

I love the lemony taste of purslane, but have never had more than a plant or so at a time (pulled out of the garden). Unlike the lamb's quarters, which we used to let have a certain section of the garden, and we could have as much as we wanted.

08/06
    Here's a new article just published about Purslane:

www.baltimoresun.com/health/...ll.story

08/06
      "... in Malawi, the name for the fleshy, round-leafed plant translates to "the buttocks of the wife of a chief."

hilarious!

08/06
        hilarious and........yummy! ;-) (You've got an eye for the essence of an article, LoLa!) :-D

08/09
          Sometimes a phrase just stands out, you know?

And I was going to post that I hadn't seen any purslane here in Vancouver, and then yesterday I saw some growing in the alley behind my house! Yay! Now I have to look up how to propagate it so I can grow some in a planter.

08/19
            When I was looking for info on propagation, I found this page that has some info on medicinal properties:

www.tropilab.com/purslane.html

"Medicinal applications
            The juice is used against dry cough; also inflammation and sores (topical); hemoptysis and hemorrhage.
            It is beneficial in urinary- and digestive problems.
            It is also used in the treatment of candida, lupus and fibromyalgia.
            It contains Omega-3 fatty acids; these phytochemicals can be used to treat bipolar disorders, depression, hyperactivity congenital heart disease and migraines.
            Among the constituents are: mucilage, vitamins A, B, C, and E, beta-carotene, Calcium, magnesium, potassium, foliate, and lithium; Amino acids (phenylalanine, alanine, tyrosine, and aspartate). Antioxidants (glutathione and alpha-tocopherol)."

Recent topics in "Edible and medicinal plants of the wild"