Advertisement

Lambs quarter

topic posted Tue, May 22, 2007 - 12:20 PM by  love,cat
Share/Save/Bookmark
I found some in the yard while weeding, and decided to put it in the mixed stirfry. It was DELICIOUS! It has a rich, mellow, almost gravy-like taste. Now I have a section of the yard set aside to let the lambs quarter get huge so that we can eat it all the time.

Just wanted to share!
posted by:
love,cat
Los Angeles
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Lambs quarter

Tue, May 22, 2007 - 2:32 PM

I think it is really tasty, but one thing you should be aware of -- the best is the smaller leaves at the top of each stalk, like the top handful. If your plants grow "huge" you won't want to eat the whole thing -- just keep picking the top handful from each stalk, and leave the rest to grow another set.

It's great in any recipe for spinach!
    • Re: Lambs quarter

Wed, May 23, 2007 - 7:25 PM
      lamb's quarter is chocked full of vitamins and minerals.. They're great raw,cooked, steamed or however.. but like Stephanie stated... its best to get the smaller leaves, or the young shoots.. They're like dandylion in that respect.... smaller is better..

Wed, May 23, 2007 - 8:04 PM
        too true, too true....i tried to make a weed salad once, but the older leaves of the various plants were very hairy and bitter. I read on some wildcrafting website that lambsquarter gets to be as tall as 5', and the writer spoke of harvesting fresh tips and seed heads all season. I can't believe I used to yank this delicacy with hatred in my heart! It grows like mad all over my area, esp. the horse stables where I used to board my mustang! I read once that it was Lewis and Clark's favorite vegetable.

Fri, May 25, 2007 - 1:05 PM
          It was a staple among the tribes here in Montana as well as for Lewis and Clark on the trail. It really isn't considered medicinal, however it has more vitamins, minerals and such then most green leafy vegetables cultivated domestically including spinach..

Mon, May 28, 2007 - 8:35 AM
            It is one of my fave's too. I remember being told to weed it out of my mom's garden, but now I let it grow. The seeds can also be harvested and cooked like couscous. The greens are high in oxalic acid, so if you are prone to kidney stones, you may want to avoid it!

Tue, May 29, 2007 - 10:31 PM
    I have made lamb's quarter infused vinegar and it is wonderful.....you can cook and freeze them for winter mineral-rich food and you can also gather the seed and grind for breads.....I love it! We have a native variety on here on Whidbey Island that is so full of salty minerals.....peace, Julie
    • Re: Lambs quarter uses/preparation

Fri, February 19, 2010 - 11:04 AM
      Very pleased to have read your post though it was written quite a while back. As a child, I went with my mother to gather wild lamb's quarter each year. Absolutely loved it! Was only familiar with the cooked greens, knowing very little even about that. Do you know of a site where I can learn more about uses and preparation such as you have mentioned? TkU

Thu, May 31, 2007 - 9:57 AM
    AKA wild spinach...I like it fresh from the plant with nothing on it...yum!!

Unfortunately I haven't had any luck cultivating it. It doesn't seem to like transplanting. I've tried planting its seeds, but very little comes up. I think it's just one of those plants that has to grow wild.

WW

Sat, March 6, 2010 - 12:51 AM
    when i was a kid on the farm we read somewhere about lambsquarter, been eating it since
    and yes it DOES have a medicinal value, a damned good one
    steam it and eat it like spinach, if you have a cholesterol problem ir will go away
    and it dont take that long either
    i eat all the wrong things all the time, fried everything, butter by the spoonful
    lots of red meats
    the only time my cholesterol has ever been above zero, yes zero, was when i was driving truck and wasnt eating my lambsquarter
    ive never managed to save seeds, it loves rich soils and is always growin in the barnyard or manure pile
    so in the spring when i start mt garden i pull a dozen small plants up by the roots and transplant them in the garden
    i let the root and very bottom later of leaves grow, everything else gets plucked off soon as its big enuff to harvest
    last year my 12 little plants kept me in fresh greens for one good sized bowl of steamed leaves everyday all summer
    (my idea of good sized bowl is about 2 cups)
    this year im gona try 24 plants and see if i can blanch and freeze some or can a few dozen quarts
    onc when my kids were little and i wasnt so busy, i harvested 23 bushel of greens off 25 plants
    too bad i couldnt get anyone interested in buyin any back then

lol to 5 feet high, ive seen em go past the eaves growin on a dung heap
    wherever you grow them, they love high humus rich soil, they wont grow in poor soils
    lambsquarter was one of the things old farmers looked for when buyin land
    if there was lambsquarter there, the soil was good, if they didnt grow there, the land was useless
    if you do some diggin in old library volumes ir was a staple for a lot of early pioneers
    like poke salad and chickory

Sat, March 6, 2010 - 6:56 AM
      Thanks, beast! I love your Lambs quarter story! Do you have a good recipe for Lambs Quarter?

I hope to try the garden transplant thing, too! Thanks for the ideas!!!
      • Lambs quarter casserole

Tue, July 27, 2010 - 11:09 PM
        steam or boil 2 cups, tightly packed, lambs quarter
        when leaves turn the dark green add
        2 cups cream of mushroom soup
        and 1 pound cream cheese
        mix in well
        pour into casserole dish and level out
        crumble salt crackers or the top
        melt 1 tablespoon of butter and pour over top
        place in preheated over and bake at 350 degrees
        for 30 minutes
        let set 30 mins to an hour to stiffen after removing from oven

enjoy :)

Sat, March 6, 2010 - 7:19 AM
    Here's a little more info on Lambs Quarters:

The leaves are a great source of beta carotene, a precursor to vitamin A. Like other green plants, lamb’s quarters aids the liver in the production of bile and contains an oil which helps emulsify hardened animal fat in the heart and arteries. The plant is high in calcium––about 309 mg per 100 grams––one of the highest amounts in green leafy vegetables. The leaves do contain oxalic acid, which inhibits calcium utilization, but the calcium levels are so high it is still a good source. They have 4.2 grams of protein per 100 grams ––again, one of the highest. Lamb’s quarters is also rich in potassium, B-vitamin complex, vitamin C and fiber. It is one of the plants richest in folic acid, especially important for pregnant women. The seeds also contain calcium, protein and potassium as well as niacin and phosphorous.

The whole plant can be eaten when young. The leaves are good in spring and early summer. After that, the upper leaves are best. It’s better than spinach and never bitter (unless you are from the Midwest where everything turns bitter when hot weather comes). The leaves can be used raw in salads or cooked in soups, stews, casseroles, simply steamed or sautéed. Lamb’s quarters dries well and can be reconstituted or powdered for use in winter. It is very good in raw cheese or tofu dishes like quiche, as its wild flavor and high mineral content go well with the cool, neutral tasting high protein foods. The leaves can be chopped and mixed with pancake batter or steamed with cabbage and drizzled with ume or rice vinegar. A quick, light stew with pasta, tofu, cabbage and carrots, with soy sauce or miso as flavoring, also works.*

In summertime flower heads can be used in casseroles and breads. They are very delicious. The seeds are harvested in the fall by rubbing the flower heads, collecting them in a large bowl, then blowing out the chaff. They can then be cooked with oatmeal or kamut flakes or ground into flour for inclusion in pancakes or bread.* Napoleon used them like that for his army when supplies were short. It is not necessary to have an army to commandeer this abundant, nutritious and tasty plant. All it takes is some curiosity, some will power, a small cutting knife and a pot of water; and you will be rewarded beyond your dreams.

www.rawfoodinfo.com/articles...sury.html

Sat, July 19, 2014 - 10:07 AM
    I have been eating this plant for over 40 years. My mom would show me how to look for the plant and then have me pick the leaves to wilt like spinach. We ate it with butter, vinegar, salt and pepper. OMG---it is so heavenly velvety and tender. I love this plant. I have been growing Wild Lambs Quarter in my garden since Spring. I harvested my first batch this morning; soaked the leaves in salt water (to kill any bugs, rinsed 3 times, blanched, drained, and now they are cooling in the fridge. I am packing in a freezer bag for Fall/Winter as I get a "craving" for them at that time. I will keep on harvesting the smaller leaves as they continue to grow. Happy Eating!

Recent topics in "Edible and medicinal plants of the wild"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
New Time 4 Hemp Broadcast ANDROID AP! Casper 0 November 22, 2014
Dandelion 9 September 24, 2014
My new business teaching kids edible and medicinal plants thro... ~Natalia~ 0 September 24, 2014
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014
has anyone tried the magic mushroom cubensis strain holy grail... Unsubscribed 0 August 6, 2014