Advertisement

Eating Plantain?

topic posted Mon, June 12, 2006 - 8:43 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
How much can a person eat? Is it safe to consume alot?
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Eating Plantain?

Tue, June 13, 2006 - 10:26 AM

If you mean plantain bananas as much as you would regular bananas, just be sure to cook it! They taste reaaally good fried (not good for you, but good tasting). You can also steam or boil them and do a whole bunch of stuff. If you want recipes i have tons!
    • Unsu...

Re: Eating Plantain?

Tue, June 13, 2006 - 12:44 PM
      No not the Banana.... the herb.

:-)
      • Unsu...

Tue, June 13, 2006 - 2:59 PM
        oh, THAT plantain.

There's more than one? ;-)

Wed, June 14, 2006 - 1:38 PM
          There are many species in this family which are highly useable. Plantago Psyllium is among them....

Maury
          • Unsu...

Wed, June 14, 2006 - 2:28 PM
            Thanks Maury.... your a gem. :-)

Wed, June 14, 2006 - 2:56 PM
              I harvested some plantain leaves just yestereday. I like to lay them out in flat baskets to allow them to wilt and lose some moisture, for about 24 hours. Then I cut them up, put in a jar, cover with olive oil, let stepp for 6 weeks, strain and enjoy as an amazing oil to use for wound healing, especially to ease pain and color from bruises. Also good as a salve.

Sun, June 18, 2006 - 2:36 PM
                Mixed with chickweed, this makes a powerful combination ointment, salve or lotion.

I love plantain (platago major) Its is an amazing plant. tastes great, and does wonderful things..
  • Unsu...

Tue, June 13, 2006 - 11:40 AM
    And you can also bbq them....YUMMY!!!!!

i didn't know there was such a thing as too much plantain - i think the most i've had at one sitting was 3. i hate sharing!

Tue, June 13, 2006 - 12:12 PM
      Plantago major or lancelolata are both edible and wonderful herbs. The whole plant may be used. Young leaves in salad or as pot herb, The seeds are high in fiber and can be used in breads, as a grain, etc (may be slightly laxative) and may lower cholesterol.

Herb uses range from a poultice/tea wash for wounds, cuts, insect bites, burns, stings, hemorrhoids and conjunctivitis., eczema...heals wounds both internally and externally...diarheaa, kidney and bladder disorders and is said to kill worms in the stomach or bowels..

Considered a lowly weed by the uneducated, be careful where picking, as it may have been sprayed with chemical stuff.

I cultivate it wherever I can as it is such a useful plant.

And I like the other plantains too.

Maury
      • Unsu...

Tue, June 13, 2006 - 12:47 PM
        Thanks Maury.... I have tons of them in my yard.

We live in BC Canada in an area where spraying chemicals is not allowed period. The soil here is rich.

I wonder if a person can just fast on plantain and dandelions for a few days without hurting themsleves? Would you know?

Thanks!

xo

Wed, June 14, 2006 - 1:32 PM
          I would think, because of the characteristics of both plants, a dandelion/plantain fast would be a great idea...

Dandelions:
          "The leaves are more nutritious than anything you can buy. They're higher in beta-carotene than carrots. The iron and calcium content is phenomenal, greater than spinach. You also get vitamins B-1, B-2, B-5, B-6, B-12, C, E, P, and D, biotin, inositol, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc by using a tasty, free vegetable that grows on virtually every lawn. The root contains the sugar inulin, plus many medicinal substances." from www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plant...n.html

Plantain is high in Vitamin A (Beta-carotene), calcium and ascorbic acid, and I found a ref to 2.7% protein in leaves, seeds high in Vitamin B-1. Chewing the leaves is said to be a good quit-smoking aid. Here is a good link:
          altnature.com/gallery/plantain.htm

Hope this helps. I think I am going to go gather some right now!

Maury

Thu, June 22, 2006 - 3:38 PM
            Excellent for a bee sting! crush up rub on affected area... will even take the pain away temporarily.
            Too much consumption of plantain can cause constipation

Sun, June 25, 2006 - 3:46 PM
      I never tried plantain as bbq'd.. Oh.. you must be speaking of the bannana type..

I was in reference to the leaf. Plantago major.. LOL If I bbq'd them they may fall thru the grates.. LOL
        offline 3

Sun, June 25, 2006 - 5:00 PM
        And what of Plantago Lanceolata? I have used it as an external remedy, anyone have any suggested preps?

Thu, June 22, 2006 - 7:54 PM
    When I was a kid, I would eat a bunch of it.

..and I turned ok...*narg! *twitch*

but seriously, it's the small younger leaves are great in a salad

Tue, June 27, 2006 - 3:09 PM
    a very helpful plantain story...
    a friend of my mom's had just finished some kind of wild edibles/herb class, and learned about plantain as a way to quickly alleviate swelling...very soon thereafter, her young son swallowed a bee, and was stung in his throat...she picked some plantain, chewed it up, and put it on the sting...his life was saved!

Fri, June 30, 2006 - 7:13 PM

I have some crrraaazy huge broadleaf ones growing this year ...leaves as big as my hand with fingers splayed. I had never seen 'em get that big before.
  • Unsu...

Wed, July 5, 2006 - 12:07 PM
    I like to mix it in with some dandelion and my usual salad greens. I also use it topically for lesions or bruising.

Sun, July 9, 2006 - 12:41 PM
    i heard there is oxalic acid in plaintain and too much could make you quite ill (deadly).I, too, am interestred in eating moderate to large amounts regularly or for detoxifying fasts. im chicken to juice and drink it without full knowledge of this potential. raw young old cooked frozen canned ...... does anyone know how these processes or maturity of the plant would affect this? thanks!!

Tue, July 11, 2006 - 11:56 AM
      oxalic acid can cause you to have kidney stones if you eat too much of it.....my mother went spinach crazy once and this happened.

oxalic acid is found in greens like wood sorrell and spinach and whatever it is good to very your greens. each one has slightly diffrent minerals and amnio acids and such.

Fri, July 14, 2006 - 4:26 PM
      The books I refer to recommend drinking only one cup of plantain tea per day.. and even then they recommend breaking that up in to 4 doses..

Its very powerful and very cleansing. Plantain removes poison from the interior of our bodies. It can also act as an aid in removing mercury poisoning, heavy metal poisoning as well. The indigious ppls of Montana used plantain for removing the venom of rattle snake bites.. I know first hand that it is truly a life saver for hornet stings. I was stung in the vein of my right knee... My leg swelled instantly.. After many poultices of plantain, the swelling went down.. the ugly red line that ran north and south from the sting vanished, and I never had to go to the hospital.. Plantain saved my life.. (I am allergic to hornet stings.. )

Sat, July 15, 2006 - 11:39 AM
      Plantain (Plantago herb or seed, not the banana) is not very high in oxalic acid. Where did you hear that? Cooking greatly reduces oxalic acid anyway so that's a good way to go if you're worried about it, though. I'd eat it in a salad if it was tender enough, though. I've looked and haven't seen any reference to detectable oxalic acid in anything but psyllium sd., and then not alot .

Sat, July 15, 2006 - 11:42 AM
        Not all green have much oxalic acid. Some like spinach and chard do, but other like collards and broccoli don't. If you don't know plant families it would take too long to say (or even if you do, but the cabbage family is a good way to go although I'd cook or pickle them anyway). www.ars-grin.gov/duke/ is a good site if you want to see what's in a common plant.

Sun, July 16, 2006 - 5:32 PM
          Oxalic Acid. Unless you have some supreme vulnerability, plaintain is amongst the most edible and beneficial of wild greens. I have not read one thing in my years about plaintain having Oxalic Acid, like many members of the sorrel (clover) family can.

Would someone educate me?

I eat wild, drink wild water, so my tolerance is way different, I think, than many of yours. It is less--to say in a word--refined.

Maury

Mon, July 17, 2006 - 3:14 AM
            Well, since you asked to be educated ... Sorrel and clover have similar looking leaves but are from different plant families (Oxalidaceae vs. Fabaceae). The flowers look alot different. The sorrel do have more oxalic acid (acids are sour so think of the taste of 'sour grass'- actually a yellow flowered sorrel also misnamed 'bermuda buttercup'). Clovers aren't generally high in oxalic acid but some do have some blood thinning coumarins, mainly a prob if they have been sitting dried on the shelf too long (the compound changes structure and activity).
            I agree that plantain leaves are very edible except that some can be tough.

Fri, July 21, 2006 - 8:28 PM
              Here's some definitive information on plantago major..

Plantain is edible and medicinal, the young leaves are edible raw in salad or cooked as a pot herb, they are very rich in vitamin B1 and riboflavin.

The herb has a long history of use as an alternative medicine dating back to ancient times. Being used as a panacea (medicinal for everything) in some cultures, one American Indian name for the plant translates to "life medicine." And recent research indicates that this name may not be far from true!

The chemical analysis of Plantgo Major reveals the remarkable glycoside Aucubin. Acubin has been reported in the Journal Of Toxicology as a powerful anti-toxin. There are many more highly effective constituents in this plant including Ascorbic-acid, Apigenin, Baicalein, Benzoic-acid, Chlorogenic-acid, Citric-acid, Ferulic-acid, Oleanolic-acid, Salicylic-acid, and Ursolic-acid.

The leaves and the seed are medicinal used as an antibacterial, antidote, astringent, antiinflammatory, antiseptic, antitussive, cardiac, demulcent, diuretic, expectorant, haemostatic, laxative, ophthalmic, poultice, refrigerant, and vermifuge.

Medical evidence exists to confirm uses as an alternative medicine for asthma, emphysema, bladder problems, bronchitis, fever, hypertension, rheumatism and blood sugar control.

A decoction of the roots is used in the treatment of a wide range of complaints including diarrhoea, dysentery, gastritis, peptic ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, haemorrhage, haemorrhoids, cystitis, bronchitis, catarrh, sinusitis, coughs, asthma and hay fever.

It also causes a natural aversion to tobacco and is currently being used in stop smoking preparations. Extracts of the plant have antibacterial activity, it is a safe and effective treatment for bleeding, it quickly stops blood flow and encourages the repair of damaged tissue.

The heated leaves are used as a wet dressing for wounds, skin inflammations, malignant ulcers, cuts, stings and swellings and said to promote healing without scars.

Poultice of hot leaves is bound onto cuts and wounds to draw out thorns, splinters and inflammation. The root is said to be used as an anti-venom for rattlesnakes bites. Plantain seeds contain up to 30% mucilage which swells in the gut, acting as a bulk laxative and soothing irritated membranes.

The seeds are used in the treatment of parasitic worms. A distilled water made from the plant makes an excellent eye lotion.

Fri, July 21, 2006 - 8:30 PM
                www.herbalgram.org/iherb/ex...ChemPharm

Chemistry and Pharmacology

Plantain herb contains 2–6.5% mucilage composed of polysaccharides;

6.5% tannins; iridoid glycosides,

including 0.3–2.5% aucubin

0.3–1.1% catalpol;

over 1% silicic acid; phenolic carboxylic acids (protocatechuic acid);

flavonoids (apigenin, luteolin);

minerals,

including significant zinc and potassium

(H‰nsel et al., 1992–1994; Meyer-Buchtela, 1999; Wichtl and Bisset, 1994).

Fri, July 21, 2006 - 11:50 PM
                  I've eaten plantain when there was nothing else, and when there was something else. It tastes like all the wild greens I've ever eaten, give or take bitterness index. Goes good with olive oil/garlic/lemon juic/basil dressing.

Here's an interesting use example: Peanut buttered sandwich with thin slices of garlic clove placed evenly all over one slice of pb'ed bread, and plantain leaves placed evenly across the other pb'ed slice, then put em together. The peanut butter covers the plantain nicely. These days I prefer my peanut butter sammies with only the thin slices of garlic, and no plantain.

Prefer to look at them than eat them.

P.

Mon, August 7, 2006 - 2:46 AM
    There is a recipe for a medicine for detox/body cleanseing w/ plantain
    by boiling the skin... i cant find the recipe...does anyone know of this?

Fri, September 15, 2006 - 6:06 PM
      You may use psyllium or plantain seeds (plantago sp) to detox. A couple tps steeped in water or juice, let cool and drink.

Remember, when using psyllium/plantago seeds ensure you are drinking allot of fluids.

I have been putting together an article on plantago sp, and have found various internet refs that tie the banana plantain (a tree) to the plantago sp (an herb). Among them acupuncturetoday.com and there are entries on Wikipedia that confuse the two. So, just cause it is on the 'net' doesn't mean it is the truth....I laughed when I found these, thinking of this thread

Recent topics in "Edible and medicinal plants of the wild"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Dandelion 9 September 24, 2014
My new business teaching kids edible and medicinal plants thro... ~Natalia~ 0 September 24, 2014
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014
has anyone tried the magic mushroom cubensis strain holy grail... Unsubscribed 0 August 6, 2014