Advertisement

Herbal Opiates?

topic posted Wed, March 15, 2006 - 12:08 AM by  Mikey
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hello all,
I suffer from chronic pain. I have neuropathic pain (L3 + L5 discs), A knee cap that protrudes into my bone (patella femoral malalignment) and a bone protrusion on my foot (o/s naviclature)- I am able to cope with these problems okay, i bike every day, go hiking often and I'm physically active.
While I don't let the pain slow me down too much: it hurts! The best relief I've been able to find is from pharmaceutical opiates. I no longer have medical insurance and I'd also like to refrain from taking these drugs often or at all (I don't abuse them and they can be very, very helpful).
So... is there an herbal alternative to pharmaceutical opiates?
More than just something for pain. I need something similar (if it exists) to the whole opiate experience. After an arduous bike ride or a long day at the gym the pain is severely amplified and demands too much of my attention. In addition to opiate drugs softening the painful aftermath, they provided a relaxing, warm and calming feeling that helps me escape the pain.
Are there any herbs like this? Any combination of herbs?
posted by:
Mikey
Advertisement
  • Re: Herbal Opiates?

Thu, March 16, 2006 - 5:54 AM
    You might try powedered Valerian root. It's good for pain and it's very calming. It was the original plant source from which Valium was made. But be warned it tastes awfull. I recomend getting empty gel caps and filling them with the powdered root, and taking it that way. Two gel caps is usually a good dose.

Mon, March 7, 2011 - 4:33 PM
      You can buy valerian root but the problem is what it can do to the kidneys, READ DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY best to remember, all things in moderation, you don't want it for a pain killer but go to great lengths to explain why you need it, Quit playing the devils game it'll kill you then how will you feel about being stupid? People, in todays environment, how can anyone afford to do illegal drugs anymore, it'll get you played out of here anyway...maybe you don't care, but what taking dugs does to you can affect others and often does including MY FAMILY, thankfully they are smart enough to stay away from you. Stay off the road Stupid people get killed on the road. KWB

Thu, March 16, 2006 - 8:36 AM
    Check out Corydalis. Don't use it though if you have any liver problems.

Thu, March 16, 2006 - 12:16 PM
      I will try Corydalis. What are its effects?
      I wonder if milk thistle would counteract the liver issues associated with it.
      Valerian on the other hand has a very strange effect on me, and often puts me to sleep. I will sleep far too long, and wake up groggy and confused for a good portion of the following day.

Thanks for the input guys, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thu, March 16, 2006 - 1:40 PM
        It's traditional as a remedy for pain. Pretty effective too. It might be good to get an Rx from an acupuncturist/herbalist specific to your condition though. Otherwise, Corydalis can be used as a single remedy. Lot's of info available via google.

Fri, March 17, 2006 - 1:46 AM
    Mikey:

Heres information on opiate like herb.

Good Luck
    MH

Monotropa uniflora

Common Name: BIRD'S NEST, FIT PLANT, ICE PLANT, INDIAN PIPE, ONE-FLOWER INDIAN-PIPE, OVA-OVA

Family: ericaceae, monotropaceae

Range: Acadia National Park, Allegheny Portage Railroad National Hist, Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Assateague Island National Seashore, Big South Fork N. River & Rec. Area, Big Thicket N. Preserve, Blue Ridge Parkway, Cape Cod National Seashore, Catoctin Mountain Park, Chattahoochee River, Chesapeake And Ohio Canal, Chickamauga & Chattanooga, Colonial National Historic Park, Congaree Swamp National Monument, Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area, Eastern U.S., Effigy Mounds National Monument, Fire Island National Seashore, Fort Caroline National Memorial, Fort Donelson National Battlefield, Fort Necessity National Battlefield, Friendship Hill National Historic Site, Gettysburg National Military Park, Glacier National Park, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Greenbelt Park, Harpers Ferry National Historic Park, Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Isle Royale National Park, Kings Mountain National Military Park, Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial, Mammoth Cave National Park, Manassas National Battlefield, Morristown National Historic Park, Mount Rainier National Park, National Capital Region - East, North Cascades National Park, Obed Wild & Scenic River, Olympic National Park, Ozark National Riverways, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Prince William Forest Park, Redwood National Park, Richmond National Battlefield Park, Rock Creek Park, Roosevelt Vanderbilt Nat. Hist. Site, Saint Croix National Scenic River, Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site, San Juan Island National Historic Park, Saratoga National Historic Park, Shenandoah National Park, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, U.S., Voyageurs National Park

Action: anticonvulsive, antispasmodic, febrifuge, nervine, opiate, sedative, tonic

Used to Treat: children's ailments, collyrium, common cold, convulsions, epilepsy, eye ailments, nervous irritability, pain, restlessness, skin ailments, spasms, St. Vitus dance, women's ailments

Indigenous Use: Appalachian, Cherokee, Mohegan, Potawatomi

Websites: Botany 307F - Families of Vascular Plants - Monotropa uniflora (indian-pipe), GreyWings Herbal - monotropa uniflora, Indian Pipe (Monotropa uniflora), Indian Pipe (Monotropa uniflora), Indian pipes (Monotropa uniflora), Monotropa uniflora, Monotropa uniflora, Monotropa uniflora : Indianpipe, Monotropa uniflora, Indian Pipe, Plant Profile for Monotropa uniflora

Comments: Like opium, without the dulling properties.
    • Unsu...

Re: Herbal Opiates?

Sun, March 19, 2006 - 7:14 PM
      kava kava....also Hypericum is natures morphine....friends have used it successfully on severe back pain when other conventional drugs didnt work....

Mon, April 10, 2006 - 7:25 PM
        actually poppies are natures morphine. i love kava and st. john's, both effective for minor pain issues, but not all that strong for acute pain. kava kava is a muscle relaxer and hypericum (st. john's wort) is anti-inflammatory, as is arnica.

Sat, September 3, 2011 - 12:25 PM
        I WONDER IF THAT WOULD WORK FOR ME, I WAS ON 180 MG A DAY OF OXY AND THE PAIN GOT WORSE SO THEY PUT ME ON METHADOSE AND THAT HELPS BUT NOT ALL THE TIME, I HAVE SEVERE PAIN IN MY LOWER EXTREMIDES, BOTH LEGS AND LOWER BACK ANY IN-PUT IS WELCOME,

Thu, January 27, 2011 - 9:10 AM
      Hey Magic...thanks for the info. I was trying to find someplace where I can obtain this herb/flower but have not had any success. Do you have any suggestions?

Wed, March 22, 2006 - 9:01 AM
    Arnica!
    • Unsu...

Wed, March 29, 2006 - 11:18 PM
      Datura aka moon flower, thorn apples cane also be very dangerous. I've noticed in spring and summer scads of green tree frogs resting on it's leaves in the am many times. I wonder if it deters other animals.

Sun, April 2, 2006 - 9:07 PM
        A powerful entheogen, Kratom, is the closest thing to natural heroine available. Kratom Super Powder reduces stomach reactions and as will many herbal products, you get what you pay for...

- tonya kayos
        tonyakay.com

Mon, April 10, 2006 - 6:44 PM
        Don't even fool around with Datura. It's extremely dangerous and I've heard accounts locally of teenagers ending up in the hospital with heart palpitations and dissosiative behavior(couldn't tell the difference between a chair and another person in the room). It probably does deter other animals as all parts (seeds,stems, leaves, flowers,fruit) are toxic.

Sun, April 16, 2006 - 11:55 AM
          Shamans used datura to combat the demon realm . It is truly one of the most dangerous plants as it is inconsistent wit its dosage one seed may contain 10 times the potency as 5 seed . I know of a few people who now spend a great deal of time talking to themselves, walls and yes the rubber walls where they are institutionalized for having induce themselves with datura .

Mon, April 17, 2006 - 1:45 PM
          Datura will do you no good. take it from my experience. yes, we took them for the more illicit effects & dosed VERY low knowing the dangers. Even at an extremely low dosage after 75 minutes or so, i layed on my bed & stared at the top of my tent waiting to get my recognition & sanity back. i couldn't tell who i was camping with from the strangers next to me. I would walk right into things that were blatantly in front of me. one of my cohorts walked into someone elses campsite & started using their stuff. when he finally came in the tent, he didn't recognize me & thought he went to the wrong tent. i was SO happy to wake up the next morning normal.

and above all that, it didn't easy any pain or have any cool ANYTHING!!!

Mon, March 7, 2011 - 4:35 PM
      Mateo, Arnica is POISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why they outlawed it It's used to make absynth. You don't get stupid with Arnica you get DEAD! KWB

Wed, March 9, 2011 - 8:03 AM
        no arnica is not used in absinthe .
        wrong .
        absinthe is still made to this day with the original herbs in the same proportion and it's legal again .

Wed, March 9, 2011 - 8:43 PM
          By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in most European countries including France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. In SOME countries it is legal again.

There are various strains of Arnica people need to be very careful when dealing with these herbs and botanicals. It takes a great deal of research but truth can be rooted out.

kwb

Mon, April 17, 2006 - 3:14 PM
    Datura oil externally is good, NOT internally (soak thorn-apples in olive or sesame oil) Ashwagandha + Jatamamsi (Indian Spikenard/Nardostachys Jatamansi)-internally - 1/2 tsp 2 x day

Thu, August 30, 2007 - 1:56 AM
      very good advice. the most powerfull pain ointment I know is veratrum root, thorn apple and prickly ash seed or scezuan pepper.

Kratom is great for pain.

Thu, April 20, 2006 - 8:35 AM
    Have you looked at cause & effect ? It seems the pain is most severe when you are overactive. You might try tempering your workouts, hikes, & rides a bit. Some (or all) of your pain may be symptoms of lactic acid buildup in the muscle tissues. Generally this takes 48 hrs to completely clear out after intense exercise, and is flushed more fully if you drink a lot of water, during and after exercise. Another thing you might consider is changing some of your activities to less joint stress ones such as swimming, rowing, and paddling (tho I'm a bit apprehensive about suggesting the latter as you seem to go for the gusto, & gusto paddling is not recommended for the inexperienced).
    Any herbal, allopathic, or alternative remedy will always work most effectively if you address the cause before treating the effect.

Sat, September 1, 2007 - 3:52 PM
      Thank you, Johnathan. Get to the root and consider it before you pop another root!
      Hot pads, too.
      One problem with comming off of pharmies, bro, is that it is most important to see what you can do for yourself without anything taken internally. I do, though, recommend bitters to restrenghthen your liver and other organs before taking anything else, and probiotics like yogurt without gelatin.
      After a few weeks strengthening purge, and a few weeks really assessing your body and your new potentials, then try the herbals, slowly. Do your own research on what you're taking. Karma will give you the info you need as you flip. And listen to these cats on tribe banter, cuz it's cool and goodstuff.
      I know many many many stories of people dying - in groups even - on datura, just to add to the conversation... it's not just an overdose kinda thing.

Many terminal friends just smoke the kine'. I like Kavakava. Growing poppies is nice - don't reccomend addictions, tho

Fri, August 31, 2007 - 9:32 PM
    Kratom is hands down what you are looking for. Good Kratom feels just like codeine. My wife and I used to eat alot of opiates, but since we found this stuff we hardly eat them at all anymore. Kratom can be expensive though. Solidified mercury claims that he has some killer kratom for pretty cheap. 210 bucks for a kilo, if it is good that is a good deal, cause it should only take a spoonful of ground up leaf to get you there. No worries about addiction either :). I have ordered from many many places with many different kratom products, and the best stuff I have found to date was from Phytoextractium. We get the fortified red bali leaf. It is fortified with 41% alkaloidal resin. Greatt stuff and is effective a 2 gram doses. Happy days are yours again Mikey.
    Namaste

Sat, September 1, 2007 - 12:35 PM
      I just got a few kgs of Maend Da. While it gives energy like bali it is much much stronger. Regular bali was was dropping in quality for a while but the rains began early and we have some better stuff. I still need to try phytoextractum. When you have the money chech out UEI.

Thu, January 27, 2011 - 8:16 AM
      I may have posted incorrectly the first time. I was hoping you might be able to tell me where you get the stuff you mentioned below.

Sun, September 9, 2007 - 9:39 PM
    Dunno about opiates, but the seeds of the morning glory are naturally occuring LSD. 2-3 seeds crushed and made into a tea or chewed. IF YOU HAVE KIDS AROUND< DON'T LET THEM SEE YOU CHEW THESE CUZ THEY MIGHT THINK THEY ARE CANDY AND TRY IT TO< AND THIS CAN KILL A KID. Does the TENS unit electrical nerve stimulator help at all?? You'd think all that biking and hiking couldn't be good for you

Tue, September 11, 2007 - 10:08 PM
    St. John's Wort Tincture
    Cottonwood bud tincture or infused oil
    Kava kava for relaxing
    Network spinal analysis.....www.wiseworldseminars.com/ to find a practitioner in
    your neighborhood. Sedatives are okay for a while but eventually you become
    dependant on them and it sounds like you may already be dependant. Network Chiropractic
    Care will help you learn wellness techniques and you won't desire pain killers anymore.
    Blessings, Julie

Thu, September 13, 2007 - 8:12 PM
      is that network chiropractic?
      I love network chiropractic.

Thu, January 27, 2011 - 3:57 PM
        Sea vegetables, cactus/succulents, slippery elm can help the joints
        tumeric can ease the arthritic pain, but used regularly can make hair fall but is very effective for pain usually though from blood impurities which you may have from taking a lot of pills, another is Burbock root I've eaten them fresh and had it once in japanese cuisine
        Skullcap is a sedative, Lobeilia herb is said to be a strong nervine, White Willow Bark is the origins of aspirin, and I've heard of st. John's Wort being used to numb nerve pain but I think you have to take it for a good while to make sure
        Tobacco made into an herbal infusion tea for the bath is used for pain as well as Yerba de la Vibrosa, according to Michael Moore RIP
        if you're interested in something different you can try the Bee Venom from apitherapy

Tue, February 8, 2011 - 8:24 AM
    Ah yes....the warm fuzzie of opiates....if you find an alternative to those PLEASE let me know. I did order the Kratom but can't really say that it has provided any benifit at all. I just don't know that anything but an opiate can give the feeling of an opiate. Has anone one on here had better results with the loose leaf Kratom or are the capsules just as good?

Tue, February 8, 2011 - 4:11 PM
      how are opiates yummy? yuck...there's probabaly some type of imbalance where you think the opiates are making you feel better where they are loaded with chemicals I doubt are making anything feel good.

Tue, February 8, 2011 - 4:03 PM
    You can also take the old seed pods from papavar poppies and grind them up and make tea (NOT yummy!). For an extra "bang", I used to put fresh poppy heads in vodka and waited six months til the vodka was infused. That made for some interesting cocktail parties!

Wed, March 2, 2011 - 9:21 AM
      I like Kratom but made me a little hyper after a while. I prefer to feel calm and euphoric but not sleepy. Any suggestions on types of Kratom that work better? I tried 15:1 extract.
      Ok so where on earth can I get poppie pods? Dried or fresh. I'm dying to try that. Can find online anywhere. Tried dried poppies direct.com but they never send an email conf and never have a phone. They are scammers I'm sure. I guess I could grow them but I want a year around supply. I don't want withdrawal. Any suggestions??

Wed, March 2, 2011 - 7:00 PM
        Well, pretty much any nursery now sells papavars. At least here in CA. But obviously not year round. I have a gob of seeds and poppy heads that I've been carrying around to parties trying to give away. If you are in the Bay Area, I am happy to try to connect and give some to you.

Opiates are REALLY not mah thang, so happy to pass them all on. Then grow your own and by mid-summer you'll have a heap of fresh poppy heads. Yo can use them year round as preferred.

Thu, March 3, 2011 - 10:19 AM
          Sorry not in the bay area. But you can send them to me If you hate em that bad!
          I have never tried to grow them. Going to. How do you dry and store the pods once you pick them?
          Why don't you like them? They don't really work the way oxycodone does do they?
          Argh big pharma has all the fun!!! Perfect synthetics that none of us can get!!

Thu, March 3, 2011 - 11:59 PM
          It's actually the resin sap that is collected from the pods which is used not the whole pod per se, forewarning is that any type of opiate can cause vomiting and blacking out and diarreah, it's also very addictive, I still don't know how vicodin is "yummy", Cocaine or coco leaf is used as an anesthetic, it's actually very safe and effective

Sun, March 6, 2011 - 8:14 AM
            nod, nothing yummy about liver-damaging acetaminophen that is mixed in with all those drugs that end in -cet
            acetaminophen aka tylenol

Wed, July 6, 2011 - 6:10 PM
              Kratom's not the perfect choice, good sometimes, but too much and you'll be backed up, trust me and well that can get funky, unless you balance it out with plenty of good food and veggies. and hey anyway dont runners get a natural endorphin/morphine high... lol there ya go try that in between, herbs and what-not, breaks are always the key with these things. all receptors need a break.

Wed, July 6, 2011 - 8:43 PM

>Analgesic Ethnobotanicals-

Azadirachta indica ~ "Neem"
                Calycodendron milnei ~ "???"
                Commiphora myrrha ~"Myrrh"
                Corydalis yanhusuo ~ "Yan Hu Suo"
                Erythrina mulungu ~ "Mulungu"
                Glaucium flavum ~ "Yellow Hornpoppy"
                Hodgkinsonia frutescens ~ "??"
                Lactuca virosa ~ "Opium Lettuce"
                Mitragyna speciosa "Kratom"
                Nelumbo nucifera ~ "Sacred Lotus"
                Nigella sativa ~ "Blackseed"
                Nymphaea caerulea ~"Egyptian Blue Lotus"
                Pedicularis species ~ "Lousewort"
                Picralima nitida ~ “Akuamma Seed”
                Psychotria colorata & Psychotria lyciiflora ~ "???"
                Salix alba ~ "White Willow"
                Salvia miltiorrhiza, Salvia species ~ "Dan Shen", “Sage, etc.*
                Aussie Opiod Tree
                Papaver somniferum ~ "Opium Poppy"

***Perfect Pain-Killer from Plants-

Commiphora myrrha ~ "Myrrh" - Order from online, large chunks, wash, then futher clean by soaking in wine for 24 hours then washing again)
                Corydalis yanhusuo ~ "Yan Hu Suo" - Order online. Smash, chop and macerate the roots and put them in alcohol.
                Datura species ~ "Datura" - Wildcraft seeds, use few.
                Lactuca virosa ~ "Opium Lettuce" - Wildcraft, make sure you have the correct species, use the buds (unopened flowers) as well as collecting the latex
                Mitragyna speciosa ~ "Kratom" - whole bali high quaility leaf
                Papaver somniferum ~ "Opium Poppy"- pods w/ seed removed are steeped in water and then the "pod tea" is evaporated leaving a goo which is mixed with high proof alcohol in which it dissolves. Add this last.
                Salvia miltiorrhiza ~ "Dan Shen" - Grow yourself and harvest the roots. Smash, chop and macerate the roots and put them in alcohol.
                Licorice
                Black Pepper
                Mint
                Ginger
                Milk Thistle
                Chamomile

• Unsu...

Tue, September 6, 2011 - 5:05 PM

If you are looking for pain interruption and you don't want narcotics, you are probably better off looking into Acupuncture or acupressure. You can take classes in both

Thu, August 30, 2012 - 2:35 PM
    Get some Ruta graveolens leaves (green, not dry) and boil them in order to make tea. The more you use the better. It has a downer effect similar to heroin, and probably will make you sleep for hours.
    • K
      K
      offline 235

Re: Herbal Opiates? Trifolium pratense

Wed, March 19, 2014 - 1:17 AM

From
      forum.opiophile.org/archive/...8721.html

sp33dballin
      05-22-2007, 01:39 PM
      also:

A red clover (Trifolium pratense) phase II
      clinical extract possesses opiate activity
      by
      Nissan HP, Lu J, Booth NL, Yamamura HI, Farnsworth NR, Wang ZJ.
      Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA; UIC/NIH Center for Botanical Dietary Supplements Research and Program for Collaborative Research in the Pharmaceutical Sciences (PCRPS), University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA.
      J Ethnopharmacol. 2007 Feb 11;

ABSTRACT

Trifolium pratense (TP) is one of the most common herbs for the relief of menopausal symptoms. Little is known about its mechanisms of action. In this study, we investigated the affinity of TP at the mu- and delta-opiate receptors. We found that a clinically used TP extract bound to the mu-opiate receptor with a high affinity (K(i)=9.7+/-1.6mug/ml). The same extract was also found to have affinity at the delta-opiate receptor with K(i) of 15.9+/-2.4mug/ml. These results for the first time suggest a potential new mechanism of action of TP at the opiate receptors. Given the essential role of the opioid system in regulating temperature, mood, and hormonal levels and actions, this may explain in part the beneficial effect of TP in alleviating menopausal symptoms.

----------

jacky
      05-21-2007, 04:26 PM
      so the new journal of ethnopharmacology for may 2007 is out....

I look forward to these journals more than almost any publication out there.

this months publication lists 4 possible opioid active plant materials....

Recent topics in "Edible and medicinal plants of the wild"